I don't train to be better than you. I train to be better than me.

I don't train to be better than you. I train to be better than me.

Friday, October 22, 2010

Thats Heavy...

The kid I rolled with Thursday was a beast, and he is no slouch on the mat. He was using a spider guard to very effectively create space and transfer my weight in his favor. Basically, he grabbed my sleeves at the cuff and that controlled my hands, he then planted his feet on my shoulders pulled me in. With his hands controlling my arms, and his feet planted with heels in my armpits I was unable to get away. the only way out seemed to be a side pass, but with him controlling my shoulders, when I sidestepped for the pass he had openings for a triangle, or an armbar. It was a very frustrating and effective game.
I tried to sit my way out of it, but ended up swept, and then he was in side control and I realized that strength is getting to be an issue. When I roll with big dudes I am getting crushed plain and simple. I need more core strength to bump my way out of these lay and pray situations. It also wouldn't hurt to have more power from the chest for framing, and pommeling.
As usual, when I am having a class where I am struggling I started to doubt myself, but then I was matched up against a fast, but smaller guy and I dominated. the technique is there, but the strength to deal wih mass is not. I need to work on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment