I don't train to be better than you. I train to be better than me.

I don't train to be better than you. I train to be better than me.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

It's About Time

Finally! After a 2 week lapse I am healthy and was able to get back to the mat. Good class, we were focused on one hold (see video), and one escape from that hold. At the front and end of class we had some good rolling time, and I went about it in as relaxed a state as possible. No need to be a killer, just roll, look for opportunities, defend, roll, escape, things felt alright. I was spending an awful lot of time defending, but that is to be expected after a 2 week hiatus. Mostly I was working on my mind frame, and controlling my effort. I wouldn't say it was a particularly flattering class as far as my technique was concerned, but I did come out of it with some nice pointers. I still need to be working on my side control escapes, although I DID manage to escape from the same sort of choke that I got blanked out on, so the thought I have put into that is paying off. After class I stuck around to watch the black belt group work. I have to say some of the things I saw there were really impressive. Attempts at submissions, replacement of guard- all the product of well executed hip movements. This is an area of weakness for me late in the roll as I run low on gas and move sluggishly, or fail to make space to rotate my lower body which gets me stuck- usually in the side control position. I need to develop that stamina that will allow me to carry speed with my movements, and I need to get that technique to create the space I need to position myself. These things take time, and practice. All of this tells me that what I really need is more randori in my training schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment