I don't train to be better than you. I train to be better than me.

I don't train to be better than you. I train to be better than me.

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Saturday training log, and some insight into why the school works.

Today was a really good day, not because I dominated on the mat- actually quite the contrary. I think today was a great training day because I learned, and practiced a LOT. I also got to work with a newer guy and help him get better at Jiu Jitsu. 
I set out a few weeks ago to learn and practice more methods of escaping side control. Through asking for advice from instructors, and looking at tactics on YouTube, along with some book studies I feel pretty comfortable that I have at least 3 new side control escapes, and sweeps that I can implement effectively. I worked each of them today. The first is to work to get myself parallel to my opponent, and then hook one of his legs and cross my feet into a half guard. I then trap the arm on the side of the leg I have control of and sweep him by rolling toward that side. In more advanced practice I then turn the hand that had trapped the arm and grasp under his armpit- this allows me to control his motion, but also frees my hand to grasp his top leg and force it down so that I can come to the mount.
The second method is to get the pommel, then bridge up onto my shoulders to change his center of balance, I then trap his outside arm and I push off, and drive my chest into his using the power of my legs untl he rolls onto his side and I come up and take his back- from here it is choke attacks.
Third method is useful in a situational capacity. If the opponent counters one of my primary sweeps and puts his weight/force against the direction of my sweep I trap his forward arm and reverse my effort- using his directional force to my advantage and sweep him across my chest and onto my opposite side. Depending on how he reacts and ends up once I gain side control I can work for the mount, or take his back. I am feeling pretty strong in these methods and will continue to practice them, while looking at additional techniques. The good news is, side control escapes are now within my grasp, hence my opponent of 2 weeks ago has made me into a better, and more effective fighter.

I'd like to touch on my theories about training, and what the school is meant to be. For me, the School, and classmates are not meant to be a "fight club". I didn't start doing this to learn how to beat people up, nor do I get some masochistic glee from being beat on.  I have come to grips with the fact that no matter how good I get at this, there will always be someone who is better than I am. Some guys/girls possess natural gifts, and others have a wealth of experience gained from time spent toiling upward in the art. I think about that fact, and a light bulb pops on in my head. There is just one person I know for sure I can always be better than, and that person is myself.  I look at the development of my game starting last February, and I see how far I have come along this road. Looking over everything I realize that I have a lot of people to thank. Each and every student that ever showed me something I didn't know, or took the time to explain what he/she had just done to position themselves for a choke/triangle/armbar/sweep/escape/omoplata/insert submission here/. I have come to realize that we are there to learn from each other as much as we are there to learn from our coaches, and professors. We get to practice the art with each other, and the best way to thank someone for that opportunity is to share what you learned from them with them. It is sort of a pay-it-forward theory that elevates everyone. As I mentioned, I have no illusions of being better than anyone regardless of rank, but I do know one thing. The Fighter wearing my Gi today is a hell of a lot better than the fighter that wore my Gi back on February 1st, and I am better thanks to everyone I have trained with in that school.

This was the development of my new mantra- The reason I train isn't to be better than my classmates. I train to be better than myself. I realize that sounds like some sort of eastern altruism, but that isn't it at all. Really it is accepting the fact that i have so much to learn, and that each and every class contains a multitude of lessons that only serve to make me a better me. I'm glad for it.

If I get better, and I pay it forward to help others get better than not only am I a better fighter, but the people I train with will also become better fighters. Win/lose it makes no difference as long as we coninue to evolve together and help each other grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment