I don't train to be better than you. I train to be better than me.

I don't train to be better than you. I train to be better than me.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Tuesday 7:30 class number 98

I usually train on Mondays, but this week I had a planning conflict. The Monday Intermediate class begins at 6:30pm, and trying to commute down to Denver from work I will need to leave directly from the office to make it on time. I didn't plan for that and ended up needing to go home to get my gear bag before departing which meant I would be late. I could have gone to the 8:30pm class, but then I don't get out until 9:30, and not home until after 10:00 then a shower, and not in bed until 11:00 or so where I'll have a hard time slowing my thoughts down enough to actually get some sleep. I decided to postpone until Tuesday 7:30 class and give that a shot.
The Tuesday class is usually taught by Professor Junior, but we have a new Purple Belt Coach  named Darren who was teaching this particular class.  I think Darren is going to be a very good coach. He has an excellent grasp of the techniques and really breaks the motions down well during instruction. Step by step by step I really think this is the best way to teach, and then drill the motions for muscle memory. We finished class with up-down-out drills from the closed guard.
After class I went over to do some stretching, and ended up rolling with a transfer student who came from a Gracie Barra school in Indianapolis. He was close to me in size, and maybe had a slight weight advantage, but all in all it was a good match up. The session was real nice, and even tempered. I appreciated that the guy wasn't spastic and I was able to maneuver a bit for sweeps and side control. I did have some moments- one when I was in mount. I had counted the 3, so I had the sweep points and I was thinking about an attack, but drew a blank. I also got his back at one point, but wasn't able to set my hooks in thereby negating the choke I was looking for. This just goes to prove I need more randori time. I need to be rolling and drilling what I know so that I can feel more natural applying the technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment