I don't train to be better than you. I train to be better than me.

I don't train to be better than you. I train to be better than me.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Speaking the Language

My Mother In Law gives great Christmas gifts. She is probably the only family member to heed my request for gift certificates to Easton BJJ a gifts. As a result, I had a cumulative $90.00 available to spend on a private session with Black Belt Professor Larry. This was a great experience for me because it allowed me to get a better idea of just where I stand from a progress point of view. According to Professor Larry I have the "language of Jiu Jitsu" (a catalog of moves) and now need to work on application, timing and cadence- or "game". He used the analogy of swimming in a river- there are times when the river is moving fast, so you have to exert yourself efficiently, and there are times when the river is slow, and you can relax. Identifying these times is an important part of the game- allowing you to conserve energy and stay strong for longer durations of the match. Another key piece is identifying opportunity, and creating opportunity- this involves reading an opponents tendencies, and even baiting them a bit to create an opening to exploit. Another rule we discussed was in breath control- the pace of breathing is an easy tell so trying to disguise it can add some mystery to the game which can be an advantage. Since I am having a problem with stamina, I am thinking it might be best for me to start throwing smoke- fake out with a grunt when i am really resting- that too could open opportunities.

2 comments:

  1. I love people that give gifts that have something to do with your life. My brother got me the Grapplers Toolbox Reborn. I almost cried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when my family wants to be part of this journey!

    ReplyDelete