I don't train to be better than you. I train to be better than me.

I don't train to be better than you. I train to be better than me.

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Am I one of the World's Toughest Mudders? We shall see...

Something amazing has happened. On Monday I received the above email from Tough Mudder advising my finish time @ TX Coast was in the top 5% of the field. This means I have qualified for the Worlds Toughest Mudder race in December. This is the "Championship" event for Tough Mudder, and 2012 will be only the second year it will be held. The location has not yet been named, but as of this moment I am planning to compete. You can watch the video below to get an idea what I am in for. It will be extremely unpleasant.



So now it's time to figure out a training game. I'm going to up my mileage to 10k for my training runs, and I'm going to start P90X. WTM is about endurance, so I need to build muscles that can strain and recover.
Gear will be another question that needs answered. As you can see from the video, the winners were wearing wetsuits. UA Coldgear isn't going to get it done this time. I'm looking at some options- possibly a 2/3mm Wetsuit under a drysuit to keep mobility, and maybe keep the water out for a while. For footgear I'm thinking Salomon Speedcross 3CS (winter shoe). Sounds like a good plan, except that in this paragraph alone I just spent $600.00! We haven't even discussed the entry fee, or airfare yet, not to mention a rental car, hotel room, getting all this gear, and the additional camping gear to the site... It may not be realistic for me to do this, but I'm going to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment