I don't train to be better than you. I train to be better than me.

I don't train to be better than you. I train to be better than me.

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Bah!

Frustrating day on the mat today. First, I went to a Christmas party Friday night and had a few to drink, then reported to training Saturday morning. I wasn't hung over or anything but I felt like my strength was totally sapped. Class started out well enough, but then by the time we were ready to start the roll I was spent, and weak as a kitten. On top of that I am starting to feel like my game is stagnating. All my rolls start the same way- I pull guard, then I spend the next 5 minutes fighting from my back. It is like I am choosing the hardest possible way to fight. At a well toned 190lbs I have a nice weight advantage on most of my fellow students but I am squandering that advantage by always fighting off my back. I need to initiate from the top where I can use my size to my advantage. But how? Honestly I have a side control game, but getting there has always been an object of the roll, not the initiative from the knees. I took the question to the forums to see if anyone had any guidance and what I got was the video below. The Scissor sweep- it starts out like it always does when I pull guard (which I am nearly 100% successful in doing) but then there is the turn that puts me up top while my training partner goes to his back... Gotta study this and start trying it on Monday. Gotta add some more dimension to my game pronto.

No comments:

Post a Comment