I don't train to be better than you. I train to be better than me.

I don't train to be better than you. I train to be better than me.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Up-Down- OUT!

Attended coach Matt's intermediate class last night. We were working on defending strikes from guard which seemed a bit odd for a grappling class, but still quite applicable if you are training for self defense applications.
I have actually put some thought into BJJ as a self defense, and really I am glad the school doesn't pitch the art form that way. From what I gather with regards to the prevailing attitude when training: We practice BJJ for sport- with an eye toward competing in organized BJJ/Grappling meets rather than throwing someone a beat down on the street. Don't get me wrong, I think it is very useful to know headlock escapes, and the RNC, or kimura would certainly come in handy when restraining someone, but really if I am up against someone with a knife, or a gun I'm not looking for a single leg- I'm looking to bug the fuck out of there immediately. Fortunately my social, and professional activities rarely put me in a position where I have to worry about defending myself. Last time I checked the gang activity down at the local Albertsons was at a minimum.

No comments:

Post a Comment