I don't train to be better than you. I train to be better than me.

I don't train to be better than you. I train to be better than me.

Monday, December 12, 2011

Jiu Jitsu Week Training Day 5 Intermediate Gi training with Professor Junior Fidelis (Denver)

Saturday I attended my usual 11am Intermediate class. Class went well, I got a lot of opportunity to put the techniques I worked on all week into practice.
I had a funny moment when I went for the cross guard- inverted triangle on Eddie. To review, Eddie and I are about the same weight, but where I am lanky, he is compact so he makes for an interesting challenge. I rarely get a choke to work with him because it is very difficult to get to his neck. So I get to cross guard- slip the bottom knee through and hook up strong with my over the top leg. I pull in the clench expecting the tap. It doesn't come. I make an adjustment of angle- clench- no tap. So now here I am WAY out of position to regain defense. I got control of both sleeves again, then "gave up" the inverted triangle- and drew my leg back through. I was able to then get my right knee to his left biceps in a modified spider. I gave that up for closed guard and started hunting for options again. This was a relief and gave me more confidence in "going for it" when the inverted triangle is available because I have some steps to get back to a safe position.

It was a good day training, I took some lumps, and learned some things. I didn't get hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment