I don't train to be better than you. I train to be better than me.

I don't train to be better than you. I train to be better than me.

Sunday, October 3, 2010

That's a lot of money...

As I mentioned in the introduction, money is a concern for me and my family. Training isn't cheap either. I currently pay $179.00 per month to train at my school. That is $2148.00 per year, and that is a lot of money for a hobby. How do I justify it?
Well, I don't really go out drinking anymore. I used to spend about $100 on a typical night out and I went out at least twice a month so there you have it. $200 saved - $179 spent,and I am actually up by $21.00.
I know that some people think that there is still a "more responsible" vehicle for that money to be directed to. Perhaps a retirement account? Well lets see, I have a family history of heart disease, I drank pretty heavily for 15 years, smoked about a pack a day for 10 of those years, and was only marginally motivated to fitness throughout that time. How long do you suppose I would live if I didn't actively try to condition my body? Capricious youth being what it is, I must admit I seem to have spent my entire 20's creating a time bomb in my chest cavity. So does it make sense to put away a ton of cash for a retirement I might not get to enjoy? Not in my view. I'd rather live longer and figure out a way to retire with what I have when the time comes. Also- this is stress relief for me, which is also better for my heart.
$179 a month for the foreseeable future... What does it buy me?
I go at least 3 times a week. There are several weeks where I attend more, but for the odd week that I attend less it balances out. That breaks down to approx $14.92 per 1 hr session. I am granted access to any and all classes within my skill level. At this time that includes Fundamentals, and Intermediate classes, and I can come in for Randori (open mat) at any time. I am also granted access to the Muay Thai classes as part of my fee and I am getting closer and closer to to taking that on as well.

I should mention the quality of the workout. This is a total fitness endeavor. I use muscles I had never exercised in a gym, I get my heart rate going unlike any cardio I have ever tried, and the proof is in the sweat- I generally leave an Intermediate level course drenched. I have never broken a sweat like this when working out. The proof is also in my condition. No lie it has been eight months and in those months I feel like I am in better shape than any time prior. I am more flexible, I am getting trimmer, and I feel better. I haven't weighed myself in about 4 months, but I was weighing in at 208 or so, and now I could reasonably estimate that I am down to 192 without making major changes to diet.

So I am spending $2200.00 per year, but I feel better and I bet I'll live longer. There is also something else... I have discovered that I really love to help others work through the moves. If I can gain the skill set and then start teaching I will be able to offset the out of pocket costs. Something like that is likely years off in the future, but still it is a possibility that presents itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment