I don't train to be better than you. I train to be better than me.

I don't train to be better than you. I train to be better than me.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Jiu Jitsu Week Training Day 2 Tuesday Night W/ Coach Rob Sanchez (south school)

I did an evening class Tuesday night. Decided to drive down to the South School for the 7:30pm Intermediate class. I did this because I like the guys down at the south school, and because one of their younger students (15) paid me one of the single nicest compliments I have been given when I ran into him at Coach Vellore's MMA fight on Saturday. This kid is introducing me to another student, an old guy like me and he says "This guy is one of the best training partners you will ever roll with". Now i know he wasn't saying I was the "best" because of skill level. He was complimenting my style of helping instead of "beating" the lower guys I roll with. It was a nice thing to say, so I figured I'd go roll with him for one of my 7 Crazy BJJ days.
Tuesday night Intermediate at south school is a sparring night. We started out with 3 series of flow rolls with different opponents and then moved on to actual sparring. I was the only Blue Belt in the class of 5 so I was prepared to wait out the first round and hopefully work in on the second. Instead one of the coaches offered to roll with me, so I did that.
Tuesdays focus for me was working the things I drilled Monday AM. I was focused on trying to implement De La Riva, and also implementing some inverted guard into the game. At some point I caught a finger to the eye resulting in the damage you see above. That was kind of a bummer, and it still stings a bit today, but I'm pretty sure I'll live.
All in all it was good training, with a healthy dose of live rolling. I was happy I went, and will likely go back again for more of the same (minus the eye poke)

No comments:

Post a Comment